SUMMARY Under general direction of the City Manager, plans, organizes and implements economic development functions from conception to completion, including business retention, business attraction and incentive programs; performs a variety of responsible administrative, professional and technical tasks. Implements economic development goals and objectives for the City, interfaces and coordinates with the development community, local businesses and various City departments and staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES Duties may include, but not limited to the following:
1. Assumes management responsibilities for all services and activities of economic development including attracting increased capital investments and expanding and diversifying employment opportunities; establishes and maintains a private/public partnership for positive long-term economic change.
2. Analyzes existing economic situations relative to business attraction and expansion; reviews modern techniques for business attraction and retention and negotiates and resolves sensitive and controversial issues; monitors program performance and periodically report status to City Manager. Must have sound technical skills.
3. Collects, analyzes and compiles economic, market and demographic data for dissemination.
4. Assists with the negotiation, preparation and processing of documents and implementation of such documents as depositions and development agreements, owner participation agreements, contracts, resolutions, and requests for proposals/qualifications.
5. Serves as a resource for the public, including the development community, property owners, businesses, community organizations, and the general public. Must have customer service orientation.
6. Manages the development and implementation of economic change through retention, expansion, attraction of commerce and light industry and the creation of incentive zones and lending programs.
7. Initiates marketing strategies; oversees and manages an advertising program; seeks out and assists commercial and industrial prospects for business within the City.
8. Maintains a liaison with various local, State, and Federal agencies, coordinating projects with agencies as deemed necessary and appropriate, i.e. KY Cabinet for Economic Development, HUD, Department for Local Government, USDA, etc.
9. Provides information and/or make presentations to supervisors, boards, commissions, civic groups, businesses, individuals, and the general public on economic development issues, programs, services, and plans.
10. Becomes familiar with the existing inventory of available buildings and business and residential development sites within the community. This will include both public and private buildings and land areas.
11. Serves as a member of economic development groups or task force that promote economic and community development at the local, State or Federal level, as deemed necessary or appropriate.
12. Maintains strong working relationships with the general public, area businesses, clients, the media, and others.
*Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of all activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES There are no supervisory duties for this position.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES, & SKILLS - Considerable knowledge of business development, community, and economic development. - Ability to communicate effectively to groups and individuals, engineers, architects, contractors, developers, businesses, supervisors, employees, and the general public. - Ability to establish working relationships with other organizations and economic development practitioners. - Ability to prepare and analyze reports and data, and have skill in the operation of necessary tools and equipment, i.e. computer, word processing, spreadsheet software, and general office equipment (telephone, fax, copier, calculator, etc. - Ability to oversee and manage the operations, services and activities of the economic development program - use sound judgment - Interpret and apply federal, state and local policies, laws and regulations - present written and oral reports - design visual aids such as maps, tables and charts; prepare clear and concise reports - analyze problems/identify alternative solutions and project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations - research, analyze, and evaluate new service delivery methods and techniques - communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing - Represent the City in a professional and highly credible manner. - Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION, and EXPERIENCE Considerable experience in economic and community development, including administrative responsibility; graduation from a four-year college or university, preferably with specialization in economic and community development or a related field; or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristic described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
DESIRABLE, PERSONAL, AND CHARACTER QUALIFICATIONS
1. Good character, courteous, and pleasant mannerisms
2. Must have patience, tact, a cheerful disposition and enthusiasm
3. Must have integrity, initiative, good judgement and be trustworthy and honest
4. Must be neat in appearance and possess a high degree of cleanliness and personal hygiene
5. Must be willing to cooperate and work with all personnel
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT It is the policy of City of Pikeville to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status. This policy relates to all phases of employment, including, but not limited to, recruiting, employment, placement, upgrading, demotion or transfer, reduction of workforce and termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation, selection for training, use of all facilities, and participation in all company-sponsored employee activities. Provisions in applicable laws providing for bona fide occupational qualifications, business necessity, or age limitations will be adhered to by the company where appropriate.