REPORTS TO: One East Kentucky President/CEO, HPCEDA Board of Directors
Nature & Extent of Assignment:
Basic Function: Director of Economic Development administers & manages the economic development activities within Hazard and Perry County, Kentucky, a member of the One East Kentucky region.
Scope: This position is responsible to the President/CEO of One East Kentucky and the HPCEDA Board of Directors for the full range of activities – coordination of the program of work; organizational structure and procedures; motivation of volunteers; income & expenditures; maintenance of stakeholders and investors; interpretation of policy; maintenance of quarters; long range planning.
1. Program of Work – This position will primarily focus on three key areas: Community Development, Business Retention & Expansion, and Product Development. This involves a constant evaluation of community needs, with recommendations for change/expansion as needed, and a system of measuring progress toward attainment of program and community goals.
a. Coordination of BR&E activity within Hazard/Perry County in conjunction with One East Kentucky (OEK)
b. Project Management in conjunction with OEK prospects, including site visits, information requests, and post-announcement collaboration.
c. Community Development initiatives and strategy to positively impact Quality of Place for Hazard/Perry County which increases the attractiveness of the community to outside investment.
d. Manages the marketing efforts of the organization to include developing and implementing promotional & marketing programs & materials in coordination with OEK.
e. Manages identification and preparation for Product Development of industrial sites and buildings.
f. Monitors & evaluates the effectiveness of various economic development programs & efforts.
2. Income & Expenses – responsible for developing the organizational budget of HPCEDA & relating budget to program goals, as approved by the HPCEDA Board. The Director is responsible for all expenditures within the framework of the budget. The Director will prepare monthly financial statements of income & expenses.
3. Investors – responsible for the solicitation of new investors & managing the relationship of existing investors so as to maintain investments at a level that will ensure necessary income for the operation of the organization.
4. Other Funding Services – research sources of possible federal, state & local funding opportunities for the organization and community.
5. Interpretation of Policy – ensure that Organizational Policy, as established by the board, is properly recorded in minutes & indexes in the Policy Manual and assist the Board, Committees & Stakeholders in interpretation of policy in relation to any given questions of program.
6. Headquarters – As approved by the Board of Directors the Director is responsible for the location, design & maintenance of headquarters that will provide for an efficient operation & present an attractive "Front Door" for the use of stakeholders, the community & potential prospects.
7. Long Range Planning – Under the direction of a constantly evolving Board of Directors and an annually changing roster of officers, the Director is responsible for maintaining continuity & consistency in programming. Based on proper research of community needs, the Director must anticipate emergency and long-range opportunity & recommend Organizational & Community programs to meet such opportunities.
a. With the Board of Directors – The Director must earn & maintain the respect & confidence of the Board, individually & collectively. The Director is responsible for preparing an agenda, maintaining Board Minutes & records, carrying out plans & programs of the Board in accordance with established policies serving as a representative of the Board for all contacts with the community & stakeholders, initiating programs for consideration by the Board & advising the Board on all matters under consideration.
b. With Investors & Stakeholders – The Director must motivate members to support – personally & financially – an aggressive organizational program. They must analyze & interpret the needs of members & recommend revisions to improve service & assistance to make involvement more valuable. The Director will entertain suggestions, proposals and requests from stakeholders & translate them into action consistent with the fundamental objectives & policies of the organization.
c. With the Community – Through personal contacts with key community leaders, the Director helps shape the Community. The Director is frequently called upon to relate organizational activities to the activities of all groups in improvement of the commercial, industrial & civic life of the community.
d. ED Related Organizations – The Director must develop & maintain supportive relationships with other local, regional & state economic development organizations, existing regional businesses, real estate networks & utility providers
e. Representation – The Director represents the organization in meetings of local, state & national organizations. The Director must constantly strive to develop a better understanding of the purpose & functions of the organization.
9. Other duties as assigned.
Responsibility & Authority:
Material or Products – Within budget allocation, the Director is responsible for the purchase, storage & use of all organizational supplies & equipment.
Money – The Director is responsible for the income of the HPCEDA organization, including funds from other sources that are administered by the organization.
Boards & Committees – Participates in local & regional committees & boards addressing business issues & concerns.
Reporting – Prepares reports, drafts policies/procedures & makes presentations as needed. Meets regularly with the OEK
How to Apply:
Resumes & Letters of Application must be submitted electronically to email@example.com